Choose Mercy {Matthew 9:13}

3:48 PM


mercy
Source


 “Now go and learn the meaning of this Scripture: ‘I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices.’- Matthew 9:13

This Bible verse just touched a very deep part of my heart...and couldn't come at a more timely moment.

God has been working with me in this particular are in my life. 

I've come to realise I have a problem with mercy.

Mercy is kindness and even though it's hard to recognise this, most of the time I'm not a merciful person. I'm not as merciful as I should and I would like to be. 

Perhaps because I was raised in an atmosphere in which I did not experience much mercy in my own life.

I can be very legalistic and rigid {Judgemental} . I want things to be done now, and I want them to be done my way. I refuse to give people any room for error.

I've come to a place in which I want to be merciful with all of my heart. I only realised of this truth and need because He's shown me so much mercy...and grace over the last 6 years. This mostly through my husband. A quiet, gentle, kind spirit. A man who always thinks the best of people and situations... I believe my husband is the best expression of God's love and mercy over my life.

Through him, God has taught me there are two sides to mercy. We have to learn how to receive God's mercy before we can give it.

I've come to understand that I had a hard time being merciful, kind because I would not learn to receive it. I was legalistic and rigid even with myself, therefore with everyone else.

I've learnt there's a powerful principle in the golden rule "Love your neighbour as you love yourself"...the key? loving yourself first. We cannot give something we don't have. Nothing can come out of an empty cup.

If I don't learn how to receive God's love, and how to love myself in a balanced way...how can I love others? If I don't receive His mercy when I make mistakes, how can show mercy to others?

To be a merciful person I must enjoy and be thankful for His mercy every day in my own life.

I believe we must learn from our mistakes. When we sin, we're sorry for our mistakes, confess and move one...I cannot live under condemnation.

Mercy is for people who don't deserve it...I must remember this for myself and for others!

“I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice.” 
― Abraham Lincoln

“Mercy is the stuff you give to people that don't deserve it.” 
― Joyce Meyer


You Might Also Like

0 comments