Bible Reading Side Effects

4:37 PM





It's been 6 days in a row since I've been reading the Bible (diligently). I've been studying the New Testament one chapter a time along beautiful sisters around the web. {you can join the study group on Facebook too}. This blog is the result of my commitment to the study...I want to record what I'm learning and hopefully bless someone with a word of encouragement along the way.

I've been also reading/praying for my husband...I'm using "The Power of a Praying Wife" by Stormie Omartian.

Here's the thing...a confession. It's been way too long...perhaps 2 years {ashamed} since I've done this {since I became a mom to my second little girl}. All this time I had read the Bible "here and there", when "I get some time"...when I'm less busy...but having two little girls and a business on the side...well, you can imagine. The truth is and I have to admit that God never intended me to be too busy to spend time with Him.

"If you don't have time to pray & read scriptures you are busier than God ever intended you to be"

The consequences of my lack of discipline and spiritual malnourishment?

A grumpy/snappy Mom

For the last month or so {since my daughter's school closed for the holidays} I've found quite difficult to deal with her -she's almost five. She's a very strong willed child...she's very active, she's always on the move...loud{ she cannot stop talking...not even for a minute...trust me, she talks even in her sleep-}, always making all sorts of questions, always having something to say and following me as she's my very own shadow.

After the Christmas holidays I was really loosing it with her. I would get extremely impatient and take her misbehaviour, responses and attitudes VERY personal...Like everything she was either doing or not doing was with the intention of annoying me!  One day I broke down with my husband, I told him she was literally driving me crazy...she was making my life miserable, I couldn't find anything enjoyable about this motherhood thing. :-(

He told me {what he has told before} that I was taking things too personal...I was expecting too much from her, she's just a kid AND most importantly, that she has so many of my traits...she's so much like me...in everything {not in her physical appearance though as she looks more her father}. She's strong willed...just like me. She can be stubborn, and very determined...just like me.

I decided to calm down...breathe and prayed with all my heart for a change in my perspective...just a week after, we started this Bible study. --Another thing I started doing every morning of this week has been exercising...30 mins, every day...from Monday to Saturday AND I have been more constant in reading for her before she goes to bed. We're reading a Bible story book...The whole Bible with big beautiful illustrations. {It warms my heart to see how she enjoys the stories, the comments and questions she makes...how she remembers everything when she tells her father the story "mommy read for her"}

The results?

Around Wednesday I noticed we hadn't had any confrontation, shouting, snapping, etc etc {for three full days!! trust me, that's a record!!}...I had not had any problem with her. Any request I asked from her (picking up toys, making her bed, doing something for her little sister) she would do with a smile and a "yes mom"...I told my husband that I was in awe how my days were going by so peacefully...they were enjoyable again. I was actually wondering why?? what happened? it was like a miracle. After all the stormy days, peace had finally come.

I asked him: have you noticed the tone of my voice lately? have you noticed how we talk to each other (in love)...have you noticed how she willingly does whatever I asked her to do? what happened to her?...He told me "I have noticed...but she's exactly the same child I know...I've seen changes in you. You have changed your focus"..then I remembered what I had been doing those days, studying the Bible and exercising. I had finally moved on. I had changed my focus on her...on her flaws, on her "misbehaviour"...my eyes were now on Jesus.

I was in awe...and in tears. God's word is active...so powerful. Transforms our lives even when we don't realize... I mean, I was not studying or looking for Bible verses on "how to raise my daughter", "how to control anger", "how to control my temper", "how to control my tongue", I had just being studying the first chapters of Matthew and suddenly anxiety, stress and strife left...comfort, hope, peace and deliverance took place.

As we study, dig into the Scriptures..we'll experience God. His Holy Spirit will fill us in and make us more like Christ...The more time we spend with Him, the more we will resemble Him.

As I was browsing the web I found 15 REASONS TO READ THE BIBLE DAILY:


TO GET RID OF ANXIETY AND HAVE PEACE 

Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble. (PSALM  119:165 )

TO SET THINGS RIGHT WHEN LIFE IS OUT OF CONTROL 

The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul;
         The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart;
         The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.(PSALM 19:7-8)

TO HAVE DIRECTION AND KNOW GOD’S WILL

Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. (PSALM 119:105)

TO EXPERIENCE HEALING AND DELIVERANCE 

He sent out his word and healed them; he rescued them from the grave.(PSALM 107:20 )

TO GROW IN THE LORD 

Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, ( 1ST.PETER 2:2)

TO HAVE STRENGTH COMFORT AND HOPE

My soul weeps because of grief;
         Strengthen me according to Your word.

This is my comfort in my affliction,
         That Your word has revived me.

You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.
 (PSALM 119:28,50,114 )

TO SHAPE YOURSELF AND YOUR LIFE CORRECTLY

I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. ( PSALM 119:11 )

TO BE ABLE TO SEE CLEARLY 

The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.(PSALM 119:130 )

TO KNOW WHAT”S REALLY IN YOUR HEART

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (HEBREWS 4:12 )

TO BUILD FAITH 

Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.(ROMANS 10:17 )

TO HAVE JOY 

You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.(PSALM 16:11 )

TO UNDERSTAND GOD’S POWER

Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. (JOHN 1:3 )

TO HAVE MORE LIFE IN THIS LIFE 

My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.(PSALM 119:50 )

TO DISTINGUISH GOOD FROM EVIL 

I have restrained my feet from every evil way,
         That I may keep Your word.
I have not turned aside from Your ordinances,
         For You Yourself have taught me.(PSALM 119: 101-102)

TO UNDERSTAND GODS LOVE FOR YOU 

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.( JOHN 1:14)


I've experienced all these in only 6 days...joy and peace have been magnified. I cannot really wait to see what the future holds :-) Thanks for reading! Be blessed x




You Might Also Like

0 comments